Hire the venue
Wainuiomata Union Church facilities are available for hire – see details here.
Please contact Heather and Roger Ricketts on;
Phone: (04) 970 7644
The historic Wainuiomata Coast Road Church, which preceded the present Union Parish Church, opened in 1866 on the 6th of February. It was called the Wesleyan Church. It became part of the Methodist Circuit in 1909. Services were held in the Coast Road Church until the 9th of February 1958, when the present building named St Stephen’s was opened and dedicated.
The Congregation at this time consisted of Methodist, Congregationalist and Presbyterian members, but there were also Baptist and Salvation Army attendees.
Also, a hall was built on Devon Street, Wainuiomata, in December 1955. This was used for Sunday School and Church Services until St. Peter’s Church was completed in May 1963, with the help of funds raised by the Parish in the Glendale area and a grant from the Anglican Church. There was also a Sunday School at Arakura School from 1969, which joined St. Peter’s in 1971. Another Sunday School was held at Rata Street Hall from 1961, and moved to the Holy Trinity Anglican Church in 1969.
The St. Peter’s and St. Stephen’s Congregations have now combined together for worship at Wainuiomata Union Church in the old village area, at 108 Main Road, Wainuiomata.